Sunday, July 6, 2008

Apple of my Eye


Okay so it all started when my friend Natalie gave me a couple boxes of apples from her mom's tree and then just went crazy from there! I had all these apples so I thought I would do some home canning and make applesauce,( 20 quarts)then I got a little more adventurous and tried some apple pie filling, which by the way we had at our 4th of July bbq and was delicious! (7 quarts) and if that wasn't enough I had to try making apple butter too! (12 pints) So needless to say with 3 crockpots going all the time my house has smelled like apples for over a week now! I quickly used up the apples Natalie gave me once I got into it and had to go over to my Uncle Lowell's house to get another whole laundry basket full and that was just from him shaking the tree and had fallen off! Thankfully though I have had the help of my sister Heather and of course Rory loved doing the peeler/corer/slicer! Paige wanted to help too but her idea of helping was going to get the apples out of the basket and see if they bounced like her ball or just taste testing one bite each! Anyway I know it is important to be prepared and have some things in reserve but I have to admit I LIKE doing it and am having a lot of fun seeing the "fruits" of my labors! So if anyone is interested in doing some apples I'm sure I could go get another load from my uncle and I haven't even done fruit leather or dried apples yet! I know I'm an addict...happy canning!

4 comments:

Milli said...

Rachel, I am so proud of you. Reading about these feats, reminds me of me. It is a wonderful thing to see our children doing good things. And Yes the All American Apple Pie was delicious!!! Thanks for hosting the 4th of July activities.
Love Mom

Scott & Natalie sherwood said...

And I thought the 10 quarts of applesauce I made was a decent start. You put me to shame. Good job!

Heather Weir said...

Just wondering if I will be able to take 1 or 2 of each things we did off your hands. I know I didn't do much but would like to show matt that I did some good while the house didn't get cleaned.

Thanks for showing me the ropes of canning!

Rebecca said...

So domestic! I wish I had those skills! I still need my mommy! Anyway, great entry and I'll have to try out your bread recipes!

Wish you lived closer to teach me!