Thursday, January 28, 2010

All too Familiar (long post)

So my sweet little boy is sick...he has a cough, stuffy nose and an ear infection in his left ear. The poor thing can hardly breath so it is hard to eat and sleep. His little cry is so horse that it is even more pathetic to hear and then sometimes he has so much phlegm that he chokes on it and then throws up! This has been going on since Saturday night and like I said it feels all to familiar because about a month ago on Sunday Dec. 13th Caleb was sick too, sick enough we had to go to the hospital.
 At that time we was only 7 weeks old and as you may know if a baby younger then 8-9 weeks has a fever over 100.4 you have to take them to the ER because they can get sick so quickly since their little bodies are still so small. So anyway we went to church that Sunday and he seemed okay to me  and then later that evening went to dinner at my parents house and visited Mike's parents too but now looking back I think he was probably already warm at that point but he sleeps all the time and was all bundle up so I didn't think I need to take his temperature. I feed him at 7 pm and he went to bed about 8 pm then I woke up about 2am because he hadn't woken up to eat yet and I was staring to hurt so I went to check on him and at that point he was hot to the touch so I took his temp and it was 102! I called my doctor and they said because of his age and the temp I just need to take him straight to the ER so I woke up Mike and told him what was going on and he gave Caleb a blessing and off we went.

I went to the Mountain Vista hospital because it is not even a mile away from my house but from now on I know to just go straight to the Cardon's Children's Hospital on Dobson because even though they took us in there and started running tests which included a lumbar puncture!!! They ended up telling me that they were going to have to transfer us there anyway because now that the hospital is open they don't do pediatrics anymore and none of the other hospitals do either!  SO IF YOUR KIDS ARE SICK GO STRAIGHT TO CARDON'S CHILDREN'S!!! When they told me that I asked I could just take him but they told me know we had to go by ambulance, I guess because they had already put in an IV.
Anyway back to the ER visit they  put in an IV and had to take his blood and to do that they didn't attach the vile to the needle like they usually do they just squeezed it out and tried to catch it in the vile so my poor little baby's precious blood is just spilling out all over the table !!!!! Then they told me they had to do a lumbar puncture as well and suggested that I leave the room for that because it is very hard to watch, I took their advice on that one and stood out in the hall and it was hard just listening to it because I could hear him crying and couldn't do anything about it.
 We were they from about 3am till 8am when the ambulance came to transport us to the children's hospital. They asked me if I wanted to hold him and I said yes but then they just strapped me to the gurney and I just held him in my arms but I don't know why they did that because if we wrecked or even had to stop fast he would have just flown out of my arms!! Anyway we made it to the other hospital and got checked in but didn't see the doctor until about 2 in the afternoon.
While I was doing all this, thankfully Mike's vacation started that Monday afternoon so he got Rory off to school and dropped Paige off at his parents house and then had to go into work for the rest of the morning. My cell phone battery died shortly after I got to the ER so I was limited on relaying info but it worked out okay. Mike came to the hospital after work at about 2 just after the doctor came.


 The Doc didn't really tell us anything, just that we had to wait for the cultures to grow and see the results and because they didn't know what was causing it we were kind of on isolation so any of the staff that came in had to have on a gown, gloves, and a mask. Over the next few days we just had to wait, he was throwing up and was restless so he was awake a lot which if you know Caleb at all know that is NOT normal, the kid sleeps all the time and I kept trying to tell the nurses that but they just kept saying "oh he's awake and alert, that is good!" while I was thinking "No, it's not!" It was so sad to see my little boy hooked up to everything and cry in addition to everything else that was going on because he couldn't bend his arm because of the IV. So we were there till Wednesday afternoon and by then he didn't have the fever anymore and wasn't throwing up all the time so they finally told us that they cultures were negative and basically that they didn't know what had caused it but that they needed the room so they were going to let us go home.


It was all pretty scary at first but then just sitting around waiting got long and boring but they took good care of us and I am just glad that everything turned out okay. No if we can just get him over this current situation I'll feel a lot better especially since Mike, Rory, Paige & Kathryn ( my niece who will be with us for the next 3 months) are all sick too, it makes for one messy house and one tired mama! So here's to all your health ... I hope it lasts through the entire season!

  

3 comments:

Claire said...

What a rough time you guys have had. Let me know if I can do anything to help while you have Kathryn. I can take the girls any time- Sadie would love it.

Seeshellspace said...

I'm sorry it's been so rough. You don't know how much I could be there to help! miss you!

AudyCamp said...

Oh my! I can't believe they did a lumbar puncture! poor thing...i know what you had to go through. once in the e.r. they made me leave the room as they gave 9month old kaylea an i.v. in her head. (the worst scream i ever heard.) I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I guess it's good that nothing came back with scary results though. Hope things are back to normal for you guys soon.